Monday, July 13, 2009

How to Make a Blueberry Crisp

Blueberries are plentiful and cheap this time of year, so I took advantage and made a blueberry crisp.

The same easy recipe can work for a variety of fruits (i.e. berries, peaches, plums, apricots, apples, pears). As they come to market over the course of the summer an
d fall, I’ll bake those too.

To make the fruit filling, I started by buttering a 9-inch glass pie dish. I then added enough blueberries (about a pint) to fill the dish. I squeezed in the juice of half a lemon, plus added 1 tablespoon of white sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. I mixed everything together.

For the topping, I mixed 1 cup flour (½ unbleached white, ½ whole wheat), ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 cup oats and ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt in a bowl. I then added 1 stick of slightly softened Anchor butter, cut into smaller cub
es.

Next came the only possibly difficult part: combining the butter and dry ingredients into a streusel-like topping. I used my fingertips to clump together the two until no dry ingredients were still powdery. The butter and dry ingredients were now one, stuck together in a moist mixture.

I spread th
is mixture evenly over the filling and baked the crisp in a 375 degree oven until the fruit started to bubble and the topping turned golden brown (about 45 minutes). I like it a little cold, but feel free to serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: