Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Existential Musings From a Bewildered Gardener

This is the seventh year that I am growing vegetables in my garden, but the process still fascinates me.

To think that these radish seeds . . .


grow into these seedlings . . .


after five to seven days (if the weather cooperates)
is mind-boggling.

Despite knowing the science behind it, I'm still at a loss for deeper understanding.

And my amazement will grow when, in three to four weeks, I'll pull mature radishes with edible greens from the ground.

Did I mention that no pesticides were used in the writing of this post?

Did I mention how much healthier and knowledgeable I think we would be as a society if our kids experienced the growing process?

2 comments:

Paul said...

I, too, am so amazed at this process. I happen to believe, though, that God Himself causes our food to grow and allows us to enjoy it all. I can't find any better explanation. What a perfect plan!

I couldn't agree with you more about teaching this to our children. And I'm a first time gardener, so we're all learning as we go at our house. Great post, Rob.

-Paul

Chef Rob said...

Paul,

You'll be amazed at how much you learn just by trial and error.

Rob