Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How to Make Ceviche

Heat isn’t the only way to cook food.

The other night I made a ceviche, which relies on acid to “cook” raw fish, the dish’s main ingredient.

Ceviche can be completed in about 15 minutes and is best made with a fresh, firm fish.


For two large appetizer portions, I cut a half pound tilefish filet into one-inch chunks and soaked the fish in the acidic juice of one lemon and one lime. I added one chopped scallion, several slices of jalapeño pepper, some salt and pepper and let the fish marinate for about 10 minutes.


The color of the fish changed from opaque to white as the acid altered the structure of the fish’s proteins.

In addition to firm white fish, try this with shrimp and scallops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE ceviche! I've never made it but have looked up several recipes for it. All the recipes I found had ingredients that I know weren't in the ceviche I've eaten. I think your recipe sounds perfect! Thanks! Megan