Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How to Make Butternut Squash-Leek Soup

From the "It's All About Technique" School of Cooking:

Using the second butternut squash I just picked from my garden, I made butternut-leek soup. The process for making vegetable soups is ridiculously easy, as I've demonstrated before in my posts on how to make asparagus soup and carrot soup.

The only accommodation was the peeling of the butternut squash before cooking it. Other than that, nothing really changed. Don't believe me? Here's my post on asparagus soup from this spring, with necessary edits added to make a butternut squash soup. Anyone for turnip soup?

I made my asparagus butternut squash soup using just two ingredients (asparagus butternut squash and scallions leeks) bought from Nevia No at the farmers’ market grown in my garden and five ingredients (water, butter, unrefined sea salt, fresh ground pepper and fresh lemon juice) that I always have in the kitchen.

I started by sautéing some chopped scallions
leeks (whites and greens) in butter in a soup pot (uncovered), stirring often to prevent the scallions leeks from browning. While that mixture cooked, I washed the asparagus butternut squash, peeled it and chopped it into smaller pieces (about 1½ inches cubes). Instead of throwing away the rough stems, though, I put them in a second pot with the five cups of water I was going to use as my liquid, brought it to a boil and made a quick asparagus stock.

(I believe most store-bought stocks are mediocre and a waste of money; use water and spend your dollars on better vegetables!)

When the scallions
leeks were soft (10 minutes), I added the edible asparagus butternut squash pieces and cooked for five minutes over medium heat. I then added my asparagus stock water and brought the mixture to a boil. I lowered the heat and let it simmer (partly covered) for about 30 minutes, until the asparagus butternut squash cubes were very soft.

After letting the mixture cool, I used a hand-held immersion blender to purée everything until smooth. No asparagus
butternut squash pieces remained. I tasted and added salt (keep going), pepper and a little lemon juice for flavor, plus butter for texture and flavor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious.

Yes, I would like a turnip soup recipe.

By the way, my new-old favorite is rutabaga. Small ones from the farmers markets are very easy to work with, unlike the wax-covered bowling balls from my mother's era. And no bitter taste either. They can be steamed, roasted, mashed, or cubed and stirred into beef or, even better, lamb stew. Whatever way you would use a potato or turnip works for rutabaga as well.

Chef Rob said...

For turnip soup, just cross out "butternut squash" and replace with "turnip"!

The rutabaga soup sounds good. I'll make it when the weather cools down a bit.