Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Quick Recipe for Pickles (Which I Haven't Tried Yet)

I was at the farmers' market earlier this morning and I bought some Kirby cucumbers, which are great for pickling. I offered two easy pickle recipes last fall, but here's one that's even simpler, which I will try now.

This is the first time I'm making this recipe, so I'll let you know how they turn out. I'll actually add some other flavorings (possibly garlic, mustard seed, coriander seed) and substitute parsley for the tarragon, which I don't have. I may also use more of the Kirbies, since I bought seven or eight.


4 Kirbies, quartered lengthwise or sliced in rounds
2-3 sprigs tarragon
1 ¾ cups distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ teaspoon salt (I'll use unrefined sea salt)

1. Place kirbies and tarragon in a jar.

2. Heat vinegar, sugar, crushed pepper flakes and salt in a saucepan, stirring until sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour into jar. Let cool completely, uncovered. Refrigerate overnight. Will stay for up to 6 weeks.

No comments: